It’s all fun and games until your face hurts…
Winter is great, don’t get me wrong. I love the first snowfall, the holiday markets around the city, and of course, the days off from work. However, with winter comes the freezing temperatures and tight, dry skin. This is a veryyyy uncomfortable feeling which is why I introduced a serum into my routine this winter and you should too!
Serums contain a high concentration of active ingredients, which means that it starts working much quicker. The consistency of most serums are also fairly light and tend to absorb quickly into the skin. Because serums are so potent, less is more.
Facial Oil vs. Serums:
Serums are typically water-based and Facial Oils are oil-based. You can wear either alone or with a moisturizer; however, serums are supposed to go under the moisturizer and face oils are supposed to go on top of the moisturizer. (Don’t worry – I didn’t know the difference either. Who can keep up these days?!)
Here are some that I am currently obsessed with:
- Botanics Nourishing Facial Oil – (On sale for $13.49!) Lightweight and feels great when worn alone.
- Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Concentrate ($46) This is a great overnight treatment. I also really like the Kiehl’s Hydro-Plumping Re-Texturizing Serum($58) because your skin looks so refreshed in the morning.
- Mario Badescu Peptide Renewal Serum ($45) – I am a huge fan of Mario Badescu products and I love this renewal serum because it is lightweight and the active ingredients are great for my skin type which is combination/oily and acne-prone.
- Tarte Maracuja Oil ($48) – Tarte is a great brand because it is vegan and uses all natural ingredients.
- Tata Harper Rejuvenating Serum ($98) – This serum includes Hyaluronic Acid, Antioxidants, and vitamins. Hyaluronic Acid is a great active ingredient because it keeps collagen synthesis up, which keeps skin looking moisturized.
- Coconut Oil ($7) – See all the uses of coconut oil here.
I would highly recommend investing in a serum this winter to keep your skin looking/feeling great. I also carry around the Mario Badescu Facial Spray as a pick-me-up during the day or when I am flying. The travel size is only $5.00!
Also, drink LOTS of water. It does wonders for your skin. I will add to this list of serums as I try more out…