Coconut Oil is all the rage these days…and I can see why. Organic Virgin Coconut Oil is an affordable household staple that can be used as part of your skincare and haircare regimen, for dental hygiene purposes, as well as for cooking.
A great coconut oil is available at Trader Joes and Whole Foods. Another brand that I like is Carrington Farms – you can also read the difference between Virgin and Extra Virgin Coconut Oil on their website. (To summarize, they are essentially the same.)
- Makeup remover/Facial Cleanser – Yes, it even removes waterproof mascara!
- Moisturizer – This is a great moisturizer because it is naturally antibacterial, anti fungal, and hydrating.
- DIY Body Scrub –
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup granulated sugar (depending on the preferred coarseness)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- A few drops of pure vanilla extract (optional)
- DIRECTIONS: Some recipes for a coconut oil scrub suggest heating the coconut oil before adding the sugar, but the hot oil will melt it so I suggest just mixing these three ingredients in a small bowl. You can use this scrub on your face, on your hands, and the rest of your body. Then, store the final product in an airtight jar or travel tube.
- Shaving Lotion – As mentioned, coconut oil is antimicrobial and hydrating so it is great to use instead of a store-bought shaving cream which contains tons of chemicals. Your legs will also feel so smooth after.
- Deep Leave-In Conditioner – Comb a dollop through the ends of your hair and sleep in a low bun. I would recommend putting a towel over your pillow to avoid a mess. Use your traditional lather, rinse, repeat method with your normal shampoo in the AM. This treatment will prevent hair breakage and split ends and lead to longer hair!
Oil pulling has also recently emerged as a trend, but it has actually been around for nearly 3,000 years as a type of Ayurvedic Medicine.
- What exactly is oil pulling? It is the swishing of coconut oil, sesame oil, or olive oil in your mouth for about 20 minutes and then spitting it out.
- What are the benefits of oil pulling? Well, it whitens teeth, kills bad breath, prevents cavities, and prevents tooth decay to name a few…
- How exactly do you oil pull? It is quite simple. Put 1-2 teaspoons of coconut oil in your mouth and swish for 20 minutes before you eat or drink anything. Do NOT swallow- spit out into trash. Rinse your mouth with warm water and brush normally.
You can use coconut oil in many recipes. Here are a few of my favorites: roasted sweet potatoes, paleo pancakes and coconut oil popcorn.